Thursday, September 11, 2008

Day 2 postop

Good Morning everyone-
I'm writing right now from the waiting room of the ICU. Dr. Sardi is in with Doug right now changing bandages and talking to him so we aren't allowed in. Its ok though, we've been breaking all of the ICU rules for the last couple of days so I guess we can follow a rule for once!

OK now its about half an hour later and I'm sitting in the room with Doug. Believe it or not, he's actually ON THE PHONE! He's amazing, isn't he? We've had a good morning so far. His hands aren't bothering him quite as badly today, they still feel funny but he can at least hold things on his own now. Still has a bit of a dry mouth and throat, but again not as bad. The mouth and throat irritation is from the ventilator, and its getting better every hour. He got to brush his teeth today, which made him feel better too. Right now they are working on getting his heart rate and blood pressure down, and once those are under control they are going to be moving him back to his chair. Doug said this morning that what he really wants to do is walk! Every time he gets up and down or moves around it gets a tiny bit easier. He also had an xray done this morning. He's been a busy guy!

Later today at some point we will be moving from the ICU to a normal room on the 7th floor. I know Doug is looking forward to that, theres a little bit more peace and quiet! Luckily we were also told that getting Doug a private room is a priority for the floor--so he won't have a roommate which is great. when we're moving we don't know--things take a long time in the hospital sometimes! But definitely before tonight. So probably in a little bit we'll leave Doug to get some rest and I'll head back to the lodge to eat and grab some stuff since i'll be stayin at the hospital with him overnight from now on. I'm glad--its tough to leave him here all alone at night.

This weekend we have some visitors coming which is great. Two of Doug's best friends--Pete and Andy--are heading down and my mom is also coming down for a night. I know that Doug is looking forward to spending some time hangin with the guys, and I'm glad they will be here to keep him company so my mom and I can get out for a bit and wander around (and buy him the presents he has started to request!) Doug has pointed out to me that the Filene's Basement store on the inner harbor sells Affliction tshirts.......

So good morning so far, still working on getting that heart rate and bp down so that we can get him moving. He's snoozing right now, so that is helping to bring everything down. I'll update later on today.

Love,
Lindsey

4 comments:

Kateri said...

All EXCELLENT news. You know Lindsey, at this rate you're gonna need to hire someome to manage Doug's social schedule to keep him from getting exhausted, otherwise that's all you'll be doing :) And what a terrible thing to complain about!!!!

Huge smiles and cheers back home as I think of you guys!

Doug-keep it up, your progress is astounding!

We look forward to hearing more good news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anthony Peretore said...

hey guys...can't say I'm all that surprised as to how well you are doing, doug. It was very admiable how brave u seemed last Saturday. Keep fighting and let me know if there is anything I can do.

Sincerely, Ant

Anonymous said...

I think Alan may be right with his recovery schedule! Except the only cat Doug would jump 10 feet for is Kitty :) meew.

I hope you get the best room on the floor!

Love Ali

Anonymous said...

WOO HOO!! Go Doug! Glad you are getting to move around more and your own room. Linds don't forget it is a hospital. LOL ;)Have a great night. We keep on praying for you guys. Rosie, Bri and the kids