Sunday, September 14, 2008

Sunday night

Hey everyone,

I hope you all had a great weekend. I am writing this as Doug is snoozing nicely in his bed and I'm in one of the hospital recliners right next to his bed, with the little hospital tv playing the football game for us. I even said to him "see--we didnt even miss the football game!" although down here they don't play the Giants (who won today, BTW) we still got our usual Sunday dose of football :).

I think all the hospital stay is starting to get to him a bit, I know he's not feeling particularly well tonight but of course that is to be expected. The NG tube (which is a tube that goes down his nose down his throat and into his stomach to prevent nausea among other things) has started to really irritate his throat making it difficult for him to talk, so he's been pretty quiet tonight. We're really hoping that tube comes out soon, as its the one bothering him the most right now. There are some rumblings from his digestive system so that is a good sign that it will be out pretty soon. They have cut some of his pain meds back to make him more alert, but he's also feeling a bit more pain because of it also. We're just getting a little taste of what everyone has warned us about--sometimes this recovery feels like one step forward, half a step back. However, its not really a step back, it just feels like it is because he improved so rapidly in the days directly following the surgery that is only FEELS like he's not getting any better now that its slowed down. Again, patience is our friend and all of the doctors continue to think he's on the fast track of recovery and is right where he needs to be. He did four laps around the ward this afternoon though, and that was after the two laps this morning, so that is definitely forward progress!

Doug's hands are still bothering him--it really is the strangest thing! As if the surgery and recovering from that incision and everything in his abdomen isn't enough he has to worry about his hands too! Hopefully they will improve soon. He's really being so tough, and hes not complaining at all but I can just tell he doesn't feel good and I wish I could do something for him so badly. But, at this point all i can do it dab the head with the towel, make sure the water cup is always within reach, and sleep with one ear towards his bed. I hope he gets a good nights sleep tonight, i think it would make him feel so much better tomorrow.

So the plan for tomorrow is, again, more of the same! We'll get Doug up and either into his chair or on a walk first thing. I will be signing into my work computer tomorrow to try to get some hours in at my other day job! Im hoping that it works but I do see a couple of hours with my IT group on the phone tomorrow. I'll work in between making sure Doug gets his PT walks in and meeting with the doctors, especially since Dr. Sardi is back tomorrow.

Good night everyone, I hope you all had a great weekend, and we'll see you soon!
Love, Lindsey

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Doug and Lyndsey,
Thanks so much for continuing to share Doug's recovery update. I can't believe he is walking so much! That blows my mind. Go get 'em Doug!!!! I think "the boys" slipped you a little "bug juice" to get your motors revved up!!! Whatever way you can walk, we'll take it. That's the way you get better. As for the throat - don't worry Lindsey - he talked to the guys too much and now he's using that as an excuse so he doesn't have to talk to you or Elizabeth. Sorry, Doug, just kidding --are you smiling??
Doug, hope you have lots of questions for Dr Sardi tomorrow so you can keep him on his toes!! Take good care of each other. Doug I gota report through a very long grapevine today that you were grouchy...that means you're getting better but don't be grouch to Lindsey. She has to drive you home!!!
Lots of love, hugs and prayers,
dick,moe,drew

Anonymous said...

glad to hear things are still progressing positively, albeit slower. congrats on getting one chest tube out, must feel a little better at the very least. :) don't get discouraged, just keep getting enjoyment out of the little victories, and look forward to the upcoming ones.

still praying a lot for you guys. love, kaz

Anonymous said...

Hey! I'm glad to hear that everyone had a good weekend. Don't worry...Michelle and I had to work this weekend...so your not missing a whole lot. I look forward to the next time that I get to talk to you! Keep pushing!!

Love you,
Celia

Alan said...

Hey guys,
It's good to know that the doctors believe Doug's recovering well. You'll be back in CT before you know it.
Sorry to hear the hospital surroundings are boring you. So in between the PT and sleeping may I suggest some high quality afternoon televison programming.
First off, take the opportunity to see the American legal system in action. There are plenty of Judge shows out there now so take your pick. I happen to like The People's Court cause Judge Milian is kinda hot and intimidating at the same time.
Then you gotta take in a little Maury Povich or Jerry Springer. You can't beat the comedy that comes from those paternity test shows. Not to mention those "Is it a man or woman?" shows to make you question your sexuality.
Game shows are also good. I would recommend The Price Is Right but honestly I don't think it's the same without my man Bob Barker.
I don't watch it but I've heard that General Hospital has some pretty addicting storylines. Like when Elizabeth showed up at Jason's penthouse, insistent that, even though they don't have a future together, she loves him despite what he does for a living. So then Liz kisses Jason, and instead of pushing her away, he kisses her back and uh....that's just what I heard I don't watch or nuthin...Anyways, just some suggestions to pass the time while you recover.

Elizabeth Poole said...

xoxox!! So happy you guys got to watch some FB. I am not sure about the Giants, but tell Doug the PATS won :)

You are amazing Linds! An amazing girlfriend! An amazing Best Friend to Doug (and me). An amazing bedside nurse. And an amazing WRITER!!! Holy Moly--where were you when I need to find someone to critic my papers?!?!

much continued love and strength from BOSTON!

xox

Kateri said...

Doug, hang in there. Your progress is indeed astounding (from my "nursey" point of view), and even though there's gonna be a lot of days that you may not think so, what you are accomplishing is incredible and you'll make it.

Remember Lindsey-distractions are good!!!!!

And ditto about your writing skills, you are sharing an emotional and dramatic story from your heart to our hearts! Thank you.

Doug, I bet giving Lindsey hugs qualifies as good physical therapy :)

Looking forward to the doc's check up.

Anonymous said...

Lindsey, a suggestion for Doug's sore throat - ask for some chloraseptic spray if they haven't already given it to him yet. That old NG tube is just the worst! It really will be such a huge relief when it can come out. As for his hands, I've heard that it can be a result of the chemo, so as the effects wear off the problem with his hands should lessen. Also maybe some good shoulder massage might help. I was so afraid going into my MOAS about my neck & shoulders that I reminded Anita just before that they had promised to reposition my arms during surgery; and they did! they were able to have my arms at my sides so I didn't have any problems when I woke up. So either his issue is chemo induced or stress induced from his position during surgery. He's almost at the first week mark so now is the time when yes he's going to be a bit more moody as we patients don't have patience for the getting well process. Remind him that Dr. Sardi may have told him it will take 3 months to feel normal and boy was he right! At about 3 months post surgery I was back at work albeit on a limited basis; I believe it took me almost another month before I was full time but I also had an issue with a bacterial infection when I got back home so that set me back even further. Tell Doug to look down the road for full recovery but to take the small steps necessary to achieve that goal. If he follows along with what he's doing now and adds more activity in gradual doses he will be back to himself in no time. Keep up the good work with your blog; those back home must really appreciate the time you take to keep them informed. We used a Caringbridge.org site as our family was home in Salem, MA so my husband and I were on our own except for the first week we had our best friend with us (she's a nurse!) You and Doug are in my thoughts and prayers for his speedy recovery.
Dawn Johnson
Salem, MA
dawnj13061@aol.com

Anonymous said...

Doug keep up the good work, before you know it you'll be back in CT doing lapse around the condo with Kitty! (yes I know this is my 2nd post which mentions Kitty)
You both remain in my thoughts and I can't wait to see you when you get back! Love Ali

Unknown said...

Lindsey,

Thanks for the updates. It's comforting to read that Doug's doctors continue to think he is on "the fast track to recovery." His surgery seems like ages ago, though it was only last week. I am impressed with what he has done to date.

Doug dominates our thoughts here at MKC and we cannot wait for his return. Also, it's nice to read Doug got his usual dose of football Sunday. I thought specifically of Doug when Denver covered as 2.5 point underdogs at home to San Diego as the Selmont Axiom is proven yet again: "ALWAYS take the points with Denver at home."

Regards,
John D.