Thursday, September 4, 2008

Just a few more days...

Hi everyone-

I just wanted to write a short post as I'm here at work on my lunch break giving everyone an update on how we're doing over at the Selmont/Springer household!

All of the preop testing and procedures that Doug had to have are now done, so we are all set to go from a medical standpoint. On Tuesday Doug went to the doctor for standard blood tests and a shot called pneumovaxx---basically that shot makes sure that he doesn't catch pneumonia while he's in the hospital---a nice boost to the immune system. Unfortunatly its one of those shots that makes for a pretty sore arm afterwards---kind of like a tetanus shot!

Yesterday we made the trek to Milford Hospital so that Doug could get his IVC filter insterted. Basically what that is is they take a wire/mesh like contraption and insert it into his Inferior Vena Cava (the large vein that carries blood to his heart) via a catheter inserted into the femoral artery in his groin. It helps to prevent blood clots and pulmonary embolisms and is a very standard minor procedure. Heres how our day went. Doug wasn't allowed to eat anything before we went in, so of course his blood sugar was low. He was also cranky. He'll even say thats true, hahaha. They spent some time getting his sugar back up and then by that time we had been there for a couple of hours already! They took him away around 3:30 pm and I was allowed to sit with him by about 5:45 pm. They sedated him, so word is he was a little bit out of it for a bit. When the nurse came out to talk to me she said "I'm going to come and get you in about half an hour so that he can rest--if you come in now he'll never stop talking, he hasn't stopped since he got here". :-) I can already tell that Doug is going to be a nurses' favorite! He did very well and we were home by 8:00. Unfortunatly by that time the pain medication started to wear off and he was a pretty uncomfortable guy between his sore arm and his sore leg. He's doing much better today though and was off to work this morning!

We have lots of fun things planned for the next couple of days. Tonight, first and foremost, is the first Giants game of the season! We have several friends that will pop in and out throughout the evening tonight. Tomorrow after work we'll be going to a Happy Hour arranged by Doug's friends at work. I know some of our friends are going to try to make it over for that as well. Saturday morning brings a very early tee time-- 8 am!!-- for Doug, and lots of cleaning, organizing, and packing for Lindsey before heading out to a going away party for one of our friends that night. So true to form, Doug will be out there having a great time right up until the day we leave.

Thank you everyone for the comments left on the posts, as well as all of the emails that we've received--keep them coming! We love hearing from everyone and knowing we're not alone. I hope everyone has a great rest of your week, and I'll update again one more time before we leave on Sunday. And Ian, I will put the pictures up from dinner the other night, promise. :-)

Love,
Lindsey

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lindsey- Thank you so much for these updates. I hope it's therapeutic for you too!!! I'm also glad that you guys are busy and having fun!!

Doug- in between fun try to help Lindsey get ready for the trip Sunday would you?? Just teasing with lots of love...

Anonymous said...

Lindsey,

Let me echo that sentiment: Thank you so much for these updates. You are an excellent writer.

I haven't met you, but I work with Doug and know he thinks the world of you.

I expect "Douglas" to cover the spread (so to speak) on an early return to work, run the NCAA basketball pool and lose everyone's sheets. Again:-)

John

Anonymous said...

Hello! It's your friend Celia. You are in trouble now that I found this blog. So, now that I am aware of Doug's crab cake fettish I have some new important information to share. Danielle told me that Timbuktu's on 1726 Dorsey Road in Hanover Maryland has the world's best crab cakes (10 minutes from Baltimore). They are $12 each and the size of your fist!!! Maybe your last week you can get some to bring home and freeze...treats! Time to go...I will check back soon. Have a safe drive tomorrow..I'll talk to you soon!

<3 Celia

P.S. I am still trying to get used to blogging...so I hope I am doing this right.

Anonymous said...

Lindsey,

You are an absolutely amazing writer! I love reading your updates, especially the one on the Cayman Islands. You and Doug will definately have to go back when this whole thing is over. On the eve of your departure, I want you to know that my thoughts and prayers are with you and Doug. I wish I could be there, but take comfort in the fact that Doug's family will be. I love you sweetie and I love Doug too. We are routing for you!

Love, Mom XXXOOO