Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Recovery begins

Hi Everyone--

Sorry I haven't gotten a chance to update the bl0g until now! Our guy is doing very well today I have to say.

I went over to the hospital this morning and got there around 10:30 am--I meant to go a lot earlier, but I think my body crashed out as I slept through about 5 phone calls and an alarm! But I'm feeling much better and stronger today. When I got into the ICU he was awake and the ventilator has been removed which is great! The swelling has gone down, although he is still pretty bloated from all of the fluids they gave him yesterday. He is able to talk and smile again! when I was there, the Physical Therapist came and, and got him to sit up, get out of bed, take a couple of steps, and settled down into a chair. This was GREAT as this is what is going to make him better the fastest. I know it hurt him, but he was so tough and so brave while he did it--he knows what he has to do to get better and he is so strong. While we were there the dietician came in as well--they will be starting him on TPN which is IV nutrition later tonight. He will be on this until his digestive system starts working again--right now it is "resting" after all of the handling it went through yesterday!

They are going to keep Doug in ICU for one more night. Because he's diabetic they want to make sure that his sugar is stabilized before moving him to a regular room--need to make sure they aren't blasting him with too much or too little when the nutrition starts.

He is in good spirits today and his pain is being managed very well. He said as long as he's not moving on a scale of 1-10, he's at about a 2. when he moves its a different story of course, but that is to be expected. His complaints include being poked and prodded all the time and some numbness in his fingers. he's also sweating a lot (no fever though) and that is making him itchy and uncomfortable. However, if thats the worst, I'll take it! Dr. Sardi came and spoke with us and with Doug to let him know how everything went and we'll see him again tomorrow. So I have one more night in a "real bed" before i go back to my pull out chair in the hospital :-).

Thank you everyone for everything, keep those emails and comments coming! This morning I read him every comment and every email that we got and he was so happy after hearing how many people are pulling for him. It helps me get through the day too. So things are as good as can be expected at this point, as we continue to get more information I will update as soon as I can. I'll have another break from the hospital later on this afternoon.

Love,
Lindsey

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

We're so glad to hear that Doug is progressing so well and that you were able to get some rest. That's great that Doug feels his pain level is only around a 2 when he's laying still. They're managing that well for him. He earns bonus points for sitting up so well today. We know how difficult that is but it will speed his recovery along.

One tip to pass along is that if Doug feels like there is a lot of mucus in his throat, ask for a suction tube. The nurse in ICU set that up for Larry and he found it really helped.

We're cheering you both on during this recovery phase!

Your fellow Bellybuttoners,
Wendy and Larry R.

Anonymous said...

I am so glad to hear that Doug is off the ventilator and is up and moving. I can't even believe how far advanced our technology is these days! Well, I am at work checking the blog all the time with my little pom poms at my desk quietly cheering...GO DOUG! My mom posted a comment but you might not have seen it because I think she did it by accident on the oldest one. Hope you find it. Love you!!!

Celia

Anonymous said...

The fact that you're already strong enough to be sitting in a chair for a while rather than lying in the bed - the day after such a surgery - is amazing and comforting news.

Even with the challenges i'm sure you'll encounter in the recovery ahead, you're off to a solid start man, keep getting better. :)

More love,
Kaz

Kateri said...

That's my Doug kickin' A out of MOAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Out of bed less than 12 hours out of 12 hour surgery GO DOUG!!!
Lindsey I'm so glad you took a good break-you knew Doug was fine, in good hand - and rejuvinated yourself, you deserve it. And from the way it sounds if you don't stay rested Doug's gonna beat you in the recovery phase!!!

Keep up the good work both of you! We're thinking of you ALL the TIME!!!

Anonymous said...

Linds thanks for the updates and keep the good news coming :) Doug, its going to be a tough recovery but I know you can do it! Gabe also send his thoughts and prayers (he's not a big computer guys so I'm sending the message along!)
Love Ali

Unknown said...

Lindsey,

Thanks for the update. No need to apologize. You're doing a fantastic job keeping us updated.

Doug,

Hang in there. I think you'll be up and about sooner than you thought.

Regards,
John D.

Anonymous said...

Staying in ICU an xtra day is a plus as far as care is concerned in my book. Great news that Doug is up. You are TUFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF young man but you have to be to keep up with Lindsey. Don't be afraid to ask questions and don't assume something is supposed to feel ucky - ask if it is. Maybe they can fix whatever is unconfortable. The Mets are waiting for your return so hurry and get well.
Lots of love, hugs and prayers go out to both of you,
dick,moe,drew

Shabadoo said...

Doug, you probably look so sexy right now!

Anonymous said...

Doug - I think that Steve may have some more holes he wants dug in our backyard. (: That should be enough physical therapy for you! Seriously, I was SOOO glad to hear that everything has gone well so far and that they even had you out of bed already! I was wondering if the nutrition-in-an-IV comes in flavors! Keep up the good work and give Lindsey a kiss for me.(I know a hug is probably out of the question right now!
Love, Mama Springer

PS Lindsey -Your updates are great. I couldn't wait to get home from school to check it out. (I can't get it at school) Remember to take care of yourself. Love you lots!
Mom

Alan said...

Wow Doug, it's only Day 1 of your recovery and you're already up walking?!? You are not messing around brother.

Doug Selmont Recovery Journal:
Day 1 - Doug gets up, walks, sits down
Day 3 - Doug begins walking hospital hallways; gets The Electric Slide going with several hospital staff when the song comes on the radio at the nurses station (ITS ELECTRIC!)
Day 5 - Doug challenges a particularly muscular hospital security guard to a contest of one-armed pushups....AND WINS!
Day 7 - During a recommended shopping excursion in Baltimore, Doug saves a small kitten from a tree by merely leaping 10 ft. up to the felines rescue.

You and Lindsey take care and stay positive.

Anonymous said...

Great news!!! Glad to hear all positive stuff! Doug....try not to give your physical therapist a hard time!!! Bob and I are both thinking about you and sending positive thoughts your way!! Glad to see you are smiling...Bob and I both want to see you in that grass skirt at buffett next year!

Love,
Bob and Pam

Unknown said...

i'm glad to hear things are going so well and according to plan. stay strong! lindsey you are so good at listening to what the doctors/nurses are saying and relaying it to everyone!

Anonymous said...

Doug,You are a trooper...bruised but beautiful! Mother Teresa's Sisters all over the world are praying for you through Fr.Bill's contacts...you surely will be well, AND your family and friends may too, make it through these days!
Sr. Mary Lamb

Anonymous said...

Infamous -

Keep up the good work. Glad to hear you are up and walking and beginning the inevitable recovery. Also Lindsey - I have never met you but your blog is amazing and proof that my dad was right in nicknaming Doug "The Infamous Douglas Selmont" at the mere age of 8. Shine on you crazy diamond!

Regards,
Kaufman

Anonymous said...

Doug,

You are a ROCK STAR!!! I am thrilled and brought to tears at all of Lindsey's wonderful updates. You are an amazing power couple. Keep on keeping on...Love you guys, Rosie, Bri, Isa and Dante

maura said...

I'm so happy to hear that all is going OK- again, Lindsey you are doing a great job- but don't forget to sleep and eat!

I'm giving you a big hug from the amazing state of Maine... it's chilly already!

xoxoxoxox
maura

Anonymous said...

Too bad TPN doesn't come in girly colors or leave the same kind of "buzz"...Stay on Island time and go s-l-o-w-l-y. You've got a great watch-dog in Lindsey to make sure you don't get too out of control in doing things before you're ready. We're here for you when you get home (I make a great private duty nurse). The girls send their best and our prayers are with you both. Remember, nothing worthwhile is easy.

The San Pietro's

Unknown said...

You guys are amazing. We're so glad to hear you had a good day. I have to tell you that I am inspired by your positive attitudes and good humor. May tomorrow be even better.

Love,

Amy and David

Unknown said...

Dear Doug and Lindsay and Dennis and Elizabeth and Jason. A steady stream of prayers go up for you daily. All the Lamb-now-Selmont friends are rooting for you.

Doug, your courage and spirit are something to behold matched only by Lindsays.

God's blessings to you all
XO
Donna Cassetta