Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Straight from the Horse's Mouth

Hi There!!!

I figured it was high time (percocet induced of course) for me to come on and write a post to those of you who have been following my recovery so closely. First of all, I feel absolutely great right now considering 3 weeks ago to the day my internal organs were being serial molested (and I signed up for that...). Its amazing and ironic to think that my biggest complaint right now is the fact that 14 hours of surgery has rendered my hands nearly useless. I guess that some things are not meant to be easy or convenient, and I dont think they would be completely worth it if they were. I am currently writing this post solely using my ring fingers, so you can imagine how much this facet of the recovery sucks. While the rehabilitation itself has not been as bad as I thought it would have been, I am sure you all understand what an ordeal these past 21 days have been on Lindsey and myself (not to mention friends and family as well). Now that boredom has set in at home, I have taken to rereading some of Lindsey's posts to piece together some of the days that I do not recall. I have constant memories of each and every day beginning with waking up from the procedure on a ventilator, but some of the minor details still escape me. That's not to say that's a bad thong though, as the initial (read: past and current) pain is something I would not wish on my worst enemy.

The most important thing is that the most difficult part is behind us, and I dont think that any doctor on this planet could have accomplished what Dr. Sardi did with my abdomen. As many of you know, the days and months leading up to the surgery I was in a great deal of discomfort that I was constantly hiding. Fortunately, I did not wait too long and it seems as though my surgery was just in time for the surgical team to remove the vast, vast majority of cancerous cells from my abdominal cavity. For this, I thank God as well as Dr. Sardi who could have just as easily passed on my case as he did to "solve" it. Without all of that nasty stuff inside of me, I feel new and healthy again. Like i told Lindsey recently, its going to take some getting used to to remember what it feels like to be healthy, but its something that I am enoying now and look forward to in the future.

Finally, I wold be the worst person in the world if I didnt thank everyone who helped me through this.

To all of you reading and commenting on the blog, I thank you from the bottom of my heart for the constant support and goodwill that you have sent my way. It has been an utterly humblng experience to go back and read each and every comment several times. I greatly appreciate that you all see a great amount of mental and physical strength in me, but without all of you that wouldnt be possible. Whether it was the guys at work making fun of my flowered shirt to take my mind off of things, or the guys at home getting together to watch a baseball game there was not a day that went by that I wasnt cognizant of the fact that I was not battling this disease alone. It is much easier to be the first into fight when you know there is an army backing you up.

To David and Amy, who have been right hand men to me and Lindsey throughout, again I cant thank the two of you enough. The days you spent In Baltimore were just what Lindsey and I needed and could not have come at a better time. I know Lindsey realy needed the company and some like minded souls to find a good hapy hour with.

To m father and Elizabeth and Jason, I thank you all for the constant moral support, financial support and good spirits that you bestowed upon us during the trip. I know that it was not easy for the three of you to see me in pain, but you can all take solace in the fact that I am free from pain and ready to move on so that we can enjoy each others company in a happier setting than the oncology ward of a hospital.

Finally, to my dearest Lindsey. What you have been saddled with is the most unfair thing in the world. To be 26 and have to both understand and deal with this with me has been the hardest thing in the world for me to deal with. The amazing job that you have done with this blog as well as my care is something that I could not have imagined in my wildest dreams. I suppose that I should be thanking your parents as well for raising a daughter that has not only looked hardship n the eye, but rose above it to make it manageable for myself and everyone else around. You were my rock during the hardest times, and smile and kiss that you gave me reminded me that I didnt want to let you down either. You really were the glue that held this entire thing together, and not for a second did I ever doubt that you would do the amazing job that you did. I only wish that you never had to do it. I am so glad that we can soon start enjoying ourselves again without the weight of the world on our shoulders (or in my abdomen).

I promise I will post something more "doug-like" as you all like to say in the future, but for now I just wanted to say thank you to everyone (especially my beautiful Lindsey) and let you all know that although my recovery is going well, I still accept presents and cards and more specifically visitors and well wishers. Ill be here for a while, so feel free to drop in anytime to say hello.

Thanks again for everything, I could not have done this without each and every one of you.

Doug

12 comments:

Leah Kasowitz said...

I cannot beleive that I go away from DC for two weeks to Italy expecting to drop by Baltimore when I got back and you were already back in CT!You are FREAKING amazing Doug!!! I guess I'll be seeing you at thanksgiving then... just hopefully not at Bar. Maybe (hopefully) at Ian's playing rock band again :)

Unknown said...

Doug I'm sorry i beat you in fantasy football last week. I know Brett Favre inflicted some serious pain on your team, but from me to you it was nothing personal. Best of luck in your recovery from a beatdown.

Kateri said...

Aw, know you've gone and done it, showin' your soft side :) Seriously Doug, thank you for taking all that time and effort in your message- it means the world. I'm so happy you have everything you do have, you deserve it. Just make sure LINDSEY gets her fair share of it all!!! You'll make it up to her!!!

Keep playing rock band and video games- it's good physical therapy!!! By the way if company comes to visit what home cookin' could they bring? I mean, since you are still receiving cards and gifts ;)

Love you both muchly!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

So glad you're so much better. Now be super nice to Lindsey!!! I must say you looked better on Sat when we left you than on Thurs when we got a quick look in ICU. How did Kitty like your return? Is she being nice to you? Just call if you need something....someone of us unemployeds is here to go fetch or give you a hand!
Dick,Moe, Drew

Anonymous said...

Doug that was such an amazing blog...it brought me to tears. These kinds of times really tell you a lot about life and that it's not how much money you make or the things that you have, but the wonderful friendships, loves, and memories that you create along the way. I will see you soon!

Love,
Celia

Unknown said...

Doug,

First, I have to say this post was "Doug-like" enough. Well done.

Also, I am glad you made the effort to visit us at MKC yesterday. A very welcome surprise! Hopefully, we were a nice diversion for your boredom. It was great to see you.

Regards,
John D.

Elizabeth Poole said...

Doug,

It is so good to hear you are doing well. Keep up the strength! I hope "THE FAM" gets to see you next week, if you are up to it. You also brought me to tears--at work! I am so happy you are back on the BLOG!

see you soon.

xoxox,

Liz (poole)

Alan said...

Doug you are a class act buddy. It was so great to see you the other day.
You can come by my house anytime when you don't feel like sittin' at home and if you're up to it. My TV is very small compared to yours and I only got a PS2 and a Wii but if you need a change of surroundings for a while feel free to come through. I do have a good collection of early 90's gangsta rap music which we can enjoy though.

Anonymous said...

Happy to hear you are doing much better. Thank you Lindsey for the blog and letting us know how Dough was doing.

When you coming back to visit the MKC? I went home sick and missed you. Next time. Sorry about your mets, btu atleast you can look forward to the Giants!

-miller

Anonymous said...

Hey Doug,

I'm happy to hear you are feeling better and it's awesome that you are home!! Let me know if you want visiters or if you get cabin fever and want to get out

Bridget

Anonymous said...

Hi Doug,
So glad you feel so well now...since you have time on your hands as you heal, try something old fashioned for a change of pace from the tech culture...read a book! May I suggest, It's Not About the Bike...Lance Armstrong's account of how he went through his ordeal to come out and conquer the Alps...
Prayers continue...
Sr.Mary

Unknown said...

Doug,

So good to hear from you. You and Lindsey are one heckuva duo, especially with this Blog.

Glad to hear you're feeling well, even among the pain. And that you've got a great nurse. :)

Will see what I can find to help keep you occupied...

Love ya,
Stazia